Lost car keys? Don’t lose the head!
Losing your car keys is a frustrating and stressful experience. It can disrupt your plans, leave you stranded, and even result in unwanted expenses.
It can happen to anyone: you go to get your car to go to work and realise you don’t have the keys. You look for them everywhere, but there is no solution: you have lost them. Maybe they slipped out of an open coat pocket, or you left them at the coffee shop or hid them somewhere you thought was safe and then invariably forgot, or you simply lost them while you were at the supermarket.
A nuisance, certainly, but one that can be remedied by coming prepared.
Precautionary measures that can help you in the event of key loss
- Always keep a spare car key at home: it is good practice. The spare key should be kept in a safe place, so we recommend making a spare key even if you buy a used car. If you are missing your spare key, make a duplicate of the original immediately. Spare key costs less than a lost car key replacement. Our auto locksmith division offers car key and motorcycle services(and not only!), including a car key repair postal service that covers the UK.
- Take care of yourself by downloading an app: technology comes to the aid of the forgetful with certain devices that attach to your keys and are connected to your smartphone.
- If you have lost your car keys, at least don’t lose the mechanical code: a tag with a code is attached to the car keys when purchased. This code allows you to duplicate and encode a new copy. If you have lost the code, you can recover it by contacting the car manufacturer and indicating the chassis number.
- Take out car insurance that also covers the loss of car keys. In this case, the insurance will cover the cost of a new duplicate of the lost car keys.
What to do if you have lost the car key and don’t have a spare one
If, unfortunately, you did not take precautionary measures before you lost your car keys, there’s no need to panic.
You can take some measures to get your car back on the road as soon as possible.
- Stay Calm and Recheck:
When you realise you have lost your car keys, the first and most important step is to stay calm. Panic can cloud your judgement and make it more difficult to find a solution. So, take a deep breath and carefully check your pockets, handbag and immediate surroundings. If you don’t find anything, check out all the places you’ve been.
- Contact Your Car Insurance Provider:
If your car insurance policy covers lost or stolen keys, contact them and inquire about the process for replacing lost keys. They may assist you in arranging a replacement or provide reimbursement for the expenses involved.
- Call an Auto Locksmith:
Contacting a professional auto locksmith specialising in automotive lockouts is often the most efficient solution. Auto Locksmiths have the right knowledge and tools to help you gain access to your vehicle and make a new key. They operate faster and at a lower cost than the main dealer.
If you are in London or the surrounding counties, the mobile emergency team of Car Keys Solutions, our auto locksmith division, can assist you on the road!
Call our division on 0203 393 5669, and we will be more than happy to assist you!
First of all, it’s always best to have spare keys. They will help you avoid unnecessary thoughts and expenses. Making a spare key will cost you much less than having an auto locksmith come and help you gain access to your car and create a new key.
Losing your car keys is undoubtedly an inconvenience, but it’s a situation that can be resolved. Remember to stay calm, explore different options, such as auto locksmith experts and dealerships, to replace the car key, and upgrade your car’s security to ensure peace of mind. This way, you’ll soon be back behind the wheel, ready to continue driving.